This mod is provided by Jack P.
Here are some pictures of my latest mod. The first picture
shows the Zetex circuit and LS next to it. You can just make
out the positive contact sitting on top of the inductor. I
have it running at about 400-450 mA, I'm not really sure though,
I just kept increasing the current until the brightness started
to level off. That usually happens around 400 mA or so.
The second picture is the completed flashlight with the head
off. The wires are seen coming through the circuitboard right
next to the LED.
All the other pictures are pretty self explanantory.
|I've made some improvements to this mod, but don't have any
of the latest pictures yet. The circuit has been potted in thermal
epoxy to protect it, and the LS was glued to the body also with
thermally conductive epoxy to help with the heat transfer. I
don't know the runtime yet, I haven't gone through a set of
batteries, but I do know the circuit will still work with less
than 1.5 V input, and probably even less than that. I was able
to power it with an old AA battery that barely lit up my mini-mag.
The last shot is a beam shot of the darkest place I could
find right now, which happened to be under my desk from about
a foot away. The green spot next to it is my ARC-AAA turquoise.
Many thanks to Jack P. for sharing this project with FlashlightReviews.com
and its visitors!
|Just a quick update on the Legend/Zetex mod I
sent to you a while ago. I did some runtime test with this circuit,
and have a graph for it.
I measured the total light output from the head of the flashlight
using an integrating sphere. The x-axis on the graph corresponds
to 1/2 minute intervals, so the runtime was approximately
110 minutes or so. This is about what I expected of the circuit
running at 400 mA and two 1600 mAH Nimh batteries. The circuit
does a pretty good job of regulating the light output of the
flashlight, the change from high output to low output happened
in only few minutes. Also, the efficiency of the collimating
optics is >85%. I am going to compare this to an unmodified
Legend AA to see how the runtimes and output are.